Welcome to the Cherokee Chapter

The Cherokee Chapter NSDAR was established in December of 1948 in North Atlanta. It was the first new chapter in Atlanta since 1905. The Chapter was named for the Cherokee Indians and is symbolized by the Cherokee Rose, Georgia's state flower.

The Chapter's first Regent was Mrs. Ransom Burts, a renowned Atlanta historian. Miss Alberta Malone presented the Chapter with a United States flag, a Georgia flag, and a Cherokee Indian flag made of sheepskin and painted with the insignia of the Cherokee Indian. The Chapter began with 52 founding members. Within one year the membership had increased to 102 members.

Our Chapter has always been a strong supporter of NSDAR causes, educational, civic, and patriotic. One member, Mrs. Arthur H. Waite, served the National Society as Past Vice President General and as Honorary State Regent. Other members have served on Boards for the NSDAR schools, the Speakers Staff, and Museum Correspondent Docents. Members give generously to Meadow Garden, the DAR schools, preservation projects, and purchasing historic artifacts and documents for the Society.

Cherokee Chapter actively engages in projects to benefit students by donating to thrift stores, collecting labels and box tops, and sponsoring trips to Atlanta area attractions for DAR school students. At Christmas we collect items for the veterans and clothing for women veteran patients. One recent project was contributing to the George Washington Exhibit at the Atlanta History Center. Items from the Mount Vernon collection were displayed, and members of the Mt. Vernon Association came to Atlanta for a splendid opening of the exhibit.

Meetings are held monthly at the Ansley Golf Club, 196 Montgomery Ferry Drive, Atlanta, GA, 30309. The programs are followed by a luncheon. At Christmas we have coffee at a member's home and in the spring, we have a road trip to places of interest to the members.